Address: Av. Tecnológico Villa de Álvarez, Colima
In the colonial time the place was known as "El Potrero de la Campana", referring to the trapezoidal shape of the main mound of the ancient settlement before it was excavated, whose design was similar to the shape of a bell. There are data that substantiate that the original name of the place was "Almoloya" place mentioned in the historical sources of the sixteenth century as an important settlement near the Temple of San Francisco de Almo Almoloyán, which was founded at the beginning of the century with indians of the region.
"La Campana" is an archaeological area belonging to the Teuchitlán, whose main characteristic are the tombs of "tiro". This site was developed in western Mexico parallel to other regional developments such as Teotihuacan and Monte Alban to the Early Classic, so it's also an example of the first urban settlements in Mesoamerica. The settlement covers 132 hectares and is located between Colima and Pereira's river. On the site you can see streets and drainage system, plus administrative buildings, religious and housing on circular platforms and runs, a ballgame and countless petroglyphs carved on the surface of courtyards and squares. Chronology: 300. C. to 1500 d. C. Location main chronological: Early Classic, 100-600 d. C.